The Magnolia Hotel
In 1886, the razed site of the former Pass Christian Hotel was purchased by Rev. Dr. H.C. Mayer who constructed several buildings for an elite girl's school. The Trinity Episcopal School for Girls was called the Pass Christian Institute. However, this school was destined for failure.
On December 1, 1894, a new group of hoteliers, A.G. Proctor and E.C. Davis remodeled the campus buildings, constituting 40 apartments centered on ten acres –-- of lawn, replete with swings, hammocks, and play areas set up for croquet and lawn tennis. A farm, connected with the hotel, provided fresh vegetables, poultry, eggs, butter, and milk for the dining room. All meats were shipped in from Chicago, and the seafood came out of the Gulf of Mexico, fresh daily. Room rates were $2.00-2.50 per day with special discounts for groups and families. and named it the New Magnolia Hotel.
Following a second remodeling, the hotel was renamed the Magnolia Hotel, which burned down on April 1, 1915 due to a fire in its attic.
This site continues today as the Miramar Nursing Lodge in the 200 block of West Beach Boulevard.