Four-Lane Highway Dedication
Headlines in the Daily Herald of May 21, 1954, broadcast the dedication ceremonies that were held at noon in Pass Christian. A massive Magnolia-banked platform was erected on the lawn of the beachfront Miramar Hotel for the many political dignitaries to take turns in welcoming and citing the significance of the event. Mayor Francis Hursey gave the Welcome address followed by Lt. Governor Carroll Gartin who praised the completion of the Four-lane Highway six-mile section from Long Beach to Pass Christian. Its completion marked the first county-wide four-lane highway in the State of Mississippi. Members of the State Highway Commission cut the green and white ribbon that was stretched across the four lanes from the ridge to the beach.